[mpich-discuss] Announcing the availability of mpich2-1.4

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Fri Jun 17 16:34:01 CDT 2011

Pavan,

Nice to see this come out. I'll get the MacPorts version updated soon.

There's a quest in MacPorts to have a license type included in each
port description. (This is a step along the way to enabling some
binary distributions within MacPorts) .. what license do you think is
the best description for MPICH2?  MIT? BSD?

Thanks,
 Eric

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Pavan Balaji <balaji at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> A new major release of MPICH2 (1.4) is available for download from
> http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/downloads/index.php?s=downloads
>
> MPICH2-1.4 adds several new features including improved support for fault
> tolerance, support for the ARMCI API, and non-collective group creation
> functionality. This release also fixes many bugs in the Hydra process
> manager and various other parts of the MPICH2 code. All users using older
> releases of MPICH2 are encouraged to upgrade to this version. Please try it
> out and let us know if you encounter any problems at
> mpich-discuss at mcs.anl.gov.
>
> Windows binaries will soon be available from the downloads page.
>
> Regards,
> The MPICH2 Team

>                                Changes in 1.4
>
>  # OVERALL: Improvements to fault tolerance for collective
>   operations. Thanks to Rui Wang @ ICT for reporting several of these
>   issues.
>
>  # OVERALL: Improvements to the universe size detection. Thanks to
>   Yauheni Zelenko for reporting this issue.
>
>  # OVERALL: Bug fixes for Fortran attributes on some systems. Thanks
>   to Nicolai Stange for reporting this issue.
>
>  # OVERALL: Added new ARMCI API implementation (experimental).
>
>  # OVERALL: Added new MPIX_Group_comm_create function to allow
>   non-collective creation of sub-communicators.
>
>  # FORTRAN: Bug fixes in the MPI_DIST_GRAPH_ Fortran bindings.
>
>  # PM/PMI: Support for a manual "none" launcher in Hydra to allow for
>   higher-level tools to be built on top of Hydra. Thanks to Justin
>   Wozniak for reporting this issue, for providing several patches for
>   the fix, and testing it.
>
>  # PM/PMI: Bug fixes in Hydra to handle non-uniform layouts of hosts
>   better. Thanks to the MVAPICH group at OSU for reporting this issue
>   and testing it.
>
>  # PM/PMI: Bug fixes in Hydra to handle cases where only a subset of
>   the available launchers or resource managers are compiled
>   in. Thanks to Satish Balay @ Argonne for reporting this issue.
>
>  # PM/PMI: Support for a different username to be provided for each
>   host; this only works for launchers that support this (such as
>   SSH).
>
>  # PM/PMI: Bug fixes for using Hydra on AIX machines. Thanks to
>   Kitrick Sheets @ NCSA for reporting this issue and providing the
>   first draft of the patch.
>
>  # PM/PMI: Bug fixes in memory allocation/management for environment
>   variables that was showing up on older platforms. Thanks to Steven
>   Sutphen for reporting the issue and providing detailed analysis to
>   track down the bug.
>
>  # PM/PMI: Added support for providing a configuration file to pick
>   the default options for Hydra. Thanks to Saurabh T. for reporting
>   the issues with the current implementation and working with us to
>   improve this option.
>
>  # PM/PMI: Improvements to the error code returned by Hydra.

> [...]

Eric A. Borisch