[mpich-discuss] How to find out maximum number of processes in mpiexec configuration

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 31 00:29:37 CST 2011

On 01/27/2011 04:01 PM, Pavan Balaji wrote:
> On 01/27/2011 12:29 PM, Yauheni Zelenko wrote:
>> I know, that resource managers queuing will work, but this job is
>> already done in Hydra. I think will be good idea to make this
>> information available to clients too. It'll definitely simplify
>> client code.
>
> Not in all cases. Only when a resource manager which gives this
> information is available, e.g., PBS, SLURM.

The MPI-2.2 standard (page 308, lines 1-4) seems to state that the MPI
implementation should set the MPI_UNIVERSE_SIZE attribute on
MPI_COMM_WORLD for this information. It doesn't look like we are doing
that, which is a bug.

I've created a ticket for this:
https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/ticket/1426

  -- Pavan