[mpich-discuss] How to find out maximum number of processes in mpiexec configuration

Rajeev Thakur thakur at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 26 15:23:01 CST 2011

mpiexec will let you run as many processes as many as you want -- to the extent that the OS can run that many processes.

For dynamic processes (Comm_spawn), MPI defines an attribute on MPI_COMM_WORLD called MPI_UNIVERSE_SIZE, whose value indicates how many processes can be started with Comm_spawn. See the first line on pg 308 in the MPI 2.2 standard.

Rajeev