[mpich-discuss] Shared library for MPICH2?

Scott Gayzik sgayzik at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:01:18 CST 2011

Hello,
I am an LS-Dyna user and I am working with a cluster computer that is
running MPICH 2.  Are shared libraries for LS-Dyna R-5 available for
MPICH2?  They do not appear to be available on ftp.lstc.com.

The cluster is running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.  We have shared
libraries for LS-Dyna for version 1.2.6 of MPICH, i.e., the shared
libraries file we are using are MPICH126em64t, and were downloaded
from LSTC.

When running ldd on the latest version of LS-Dyna (971_R5) the it
appears we are only missing one shared object (libmpich.so.1.2).
Would it be possible to acquire that file in some way?

$ ldd mpp971_s_R5.0_Intel_linux86-64_mpich2-1.2.1
libmpich.so.1.2 => not found

Finally, is MPICH2 “backwards compatible” with previous versions of
MPICH?  For example, we would like to run an older build of LS-Dyna
(R_4) but it is only released with MPICH1.2.6.  But since only MPICH2
is installed on the cluster, we are unsure if we will need to run R5
or install an older version of MPICH.

Any guidance you could provide in these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Scott