[mpich-discuss] mpich2-1.3.1 (libmpich.a relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object, )

Sunil Thomas sunil.g.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 21:57:17 CST 2011

Hi,

   First I built mpich2-1.3.1 following the directions in install.pdf doc
with --enable-shared
and the built and install complete successfully but I got the following
error when building
my application:

*relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making
a shared object, *
recompile with -fPIC
   Then I built mpich2-1.3.1 with CFLAGS=-fPIC and --enable-shared and the
build and install
again comlpete successfully. (This is on RHEL 5). However when I try to
build my application
using the resulting mpicxx compilers and link to the installed mpich
libraries (my application
is written in C++), this time I got the following error:

* relocation R_X86_64_32 against `mpifcmb2_' can not be used when making a
shared object; *
*recompile with -fPIC*

Greatly appreciate any advice on a fix to the this issue. Let me know if I
can provide more
info.

Thanks!
--Sunil.