[mpich-discuss] How to implement this case

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at ieee.org
Mon Jan 3 14:31:34 CST 2011

Xiao,

You should be able to get by with just N buffers, one for each client. After
you have processed the i-th iteration for client n, re-issue an MPI_Irecv
with the same buffer. This will match up with the next MPI_Send from client
n. You don't have to worry about synchronizing -- the MPI_Irecv does not
need to be posted before the MPI_Send. (But the MPI_Send won't complete
until it has been, of course...)

You could always roll your own sockets, but MPI does a nice job of managing
connections and messages for you. In addition, MPI can be used fairly
efficiently on a wide range of interconnects, from shared memory to
Infiniband with little to no change on the user's part.

In addition, you could likely improve performance in MPI by having two sets
(call them A and B) of buffers to send from on each worker; one is in the
"send" state (let's call this one A, started with an MPI_Isend after it was
initially filled) while you're filling B. After B is filled, initiate a new
MPI_Isend (very quick) on B and then wait for A's first send (MPI_Wait) to
complete. Once the first send on A is completed, you can start populating A
with the next iteration's output, initiate A's send, wait for B's send to
complete, and the cycle begins again.

This approach allows you to overlay communication and computation times, and
still works with the MPI_Waitany() approach to harvesting completed jobs in
first-completed order on the master. This is an almost trivial thing to
implement in MPI, but achieving it with sockets requires (IMHO) much more
programmer overhead...

Just my 2c.

 Eric