[mpich-discuss] MPICH Errors

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:01:34 CDT 2011

Hi Joseph,

> Not sure where to go from here.

Looks to me like your build was doing just fine until the point where
it tried to cp -p a file (ie to copy permissions and ownership
information along with the file):

if [ -s libmpichf90.a ] ; then cp -p libmpichf90.a ../../../lib ; fi
cp: preserving permissions for `../../../lib/libmpichf90.a': Operation
not supported
make[4]: *** [all-postamble] Error 1

I'm sure your CentOS' cp command can do -p on a local disk -- the fact
that it's refusing to sounds likely to be associated with the fact
that you're using some network filesystem (ZFS, AFS, etc) that has its
own idea of ACLs and permissions. (Or perhaps you're just not properly
authenticated to write into that directory, but it sounds more like
the former to me.)

While you wait for a more authoritative answer from the experts, have
you considered trying a quick local installation on your machine, just
to confirm that it works? I'd say it's likely that it will.

Cheers
N.