[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 and shared memory

Nicolas Rosner nrosner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 17:17:56 CDT 2011

Hi Zhangping,

What kind of shared memory, and how exactly would you like to use it?

If you mean "how can I write message-passing code that does not assume
yet will take advantage of shared memory whenever available between
two ranks", the good news is that MPICH2's underlying comm channels
can likely handle that automagically for you.(Google keywords: mpich2
channels, nemesis, intra-node messages).

If instead you mean "how can I write shared-memory-like code within my
MPI program", you may want to read about the RMA operations introduced
by the MPI-2 standard (keywords: mpi2, rma, remote memory access,
one-sided, window).

Otherwise, please describe a few more details about your use context,
goals, etc.

Hope this helps,
Nicolás