[mpich-discuss] Building with Clang

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 15 17:46:31 CDT 2011

On Aug 14, 2011, at 7:21 PM CDT, Jed Brown wrote:

> I tried compiling version 1.4 and current svn using clang-2.9 and get errors like
>
> mpich2-1.4$ ./configure --prefix=/home/jed/petsc/mpich-clang CC=clang CFLAGS= -fPIC -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wno-strict-aliasing -Wno-unknown-pragmas -g3  --disable-cxx --disable-f77 --disable-fc --enable-shared --enable-sharedlibs=libtool --with-device=ch3:sock --without-mpe --with-pm=hydra --enable-g=meminit --enable-fast
> [...]
> configure:6876: error: Creating shared libraries using libtool not yet supported

Yeah, sorry about that.  Libtool will probably replace our current methods for creating shared libraries in the near future.  But for now it's not a working option.

> mpich2-svn$ ./configure --prefix=/home/jed/usr/mpich-clang --enable-shared --enable-sharedlibs=gcc --enable-error-checking=runtime --enable-error-messages=all --enable-timer-type=clock_gettime --with-python=python2 --with-pm=hydra CC=clang CXX=clang++ F77=gfortran FC=gfortran
> configure:6846: error: Cannot build shared libraries with this compiler
>
> It's not clear to me what test is actually failing here since there doesn't seem to be any relevant output in config.log. This version of clang certainly can create shared libraries.
>
> Any ideas what is special here?

Can you send us the c.txt and config.log files indicated in the README?  Perhaps there's something that you missed that one of us will spot.  Also, be sure to let us know exactly which version of the code that those logs are coming from.

-Dave