[mpich-discuss] Windows Vista 32 bit, cant get mpiexec -validate to work..

John Snyder john.p.snyder at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 22:07:28 CDT 2011

Hello,

I installed MPICH2 version 1.3.3rc1 on my laptop that has a pentium dual
core T2080. The OS is 32 bit Vista Home Premium. Install went well as
far as I could tell. I left the passphrase at 'behappy' and chose 'all
users', not 'just me' during install. I made sure smpd was running with
smpd -status. I then did the following:

C:\Test for MPI on Windows>C:\MPICH2_1d3d3rc1\bin\mpiexec -remove
Account and password removed from the Registry.

C:\Test for MPI on Windows>C:\MPICH2_1d3d3rc1\bin\mpiexec -register
account (domain\user) [JOHNSLAPTOP\test]:
password:
confirm password:
Password encrypted into the Registry.

C:\Test for MPI on Windows>C:\MPICH2_1d3d3rc1\bin\mpiexec -validate
FAIL

The password I use above was 'behappy'. I cant get the validate command
to work. I've read many of the relevant threads in this forum. I've shut
off UAC and while that helped smpd to run, it did not help with the
validate problem. I've tried creating another administrator account and
got the same result. I've tried stopping and installing smpd - no luck.

I went ahead and tried running mpiexec just to see what would happen:

C:\Test for MPI on Windows>C:\MPICH2_1d3d3rc1\bin\mpiexec -n 2 icpi.exe
Credentials for JOHNSLAPTOP\test rejected connecting to JohnSlaptop
Aborting: Unable to connect to JohnSlaptop

Thanks

John S