[mpich-discuss] mpi/errhan/defmsg.h

Jeff Hammond jhammond at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 29 22:57:39 CDT 2010

How do I understand what is going on in mpi/errhan/defmsg.h?

I got an error message "Buffers must not be aliased".  I grepped the
entire MPICH2 trunk for it and found it in mpi/errhan/defmsg.h and
only there.  Seeing that my error message is associated with "gen35",
I grepped the entire MPICH2 trunk for that string and found that, once
again, it is only present in mpi/errhan/defmsg.h.  I have no idea how
MPICH2 knows to print that error given there are no obvious references
to it or its token anywhere in the source.

I consider it a universal good for users to grep for error messages in
source and try to understand what branch got them to a particular
error.  That MPICH2 does not allow me to do this is uniquely
frustrating.

Please tell me what kernel of knowledge I lack that would allow me to
sensibly interpret MPICH2 error messages.  Note that my platform of
interest is Blue Gene/P where I find building MPICH2 from source to be
a pain (although I have done it in the past), hence I don't want a
solution which involves building my own library with some optional
configure flags.

Thanks,

Jeff

--