[mpich-discuss] Can't form mpi ring

Akshey Jawa aksheyjawa at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 05:21:12 CDT 2010

Hi,

I am facing problem in using mpich2 on my computer systems(having Ubuntu).

Here is what I tried:

1) I ran 'mpd &' on one machine and then I ran 'mpdtrace -l' on the same
machine. I got this as output: "my-lappy_53430 (127.0.1.1)"
2) On another machine I ran 'mpd -h -p 53430 &' and got this error:

akshey-desktop_39993: conn error in connect_lhs: Connection timed out
akshey-desktop_39993 (connect_lhs 924): failed to connect to lhs at
10.2.28.137 52430
akshey-desktop_39993 (enter_ring 879): lhs connect failed
akshey-desktop_39993 (run 267): failed to enter ring

 Can you please help with this issue? I tried to ping and ssh the first
machine(on which mpd is running) from the second machine and it worked.

After this I executed 'mpdheck' on the first machine, I got this as output:

*** first ipaddr for this host (via my-lappy) is: 127.0.1.1

These are the contents of /etc/hosts of the first machine:

127.0.0.1   localhost
127.0.1.1   my-lappy

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Then I ran 'mpdcheck -l' and got this as output:

    **********
    Your unqualified hostname resolves to 127.0.0.1, which is
    the IP address reserved for localhost. This likely means that
    you have a line similar to this one in your /etc/hosts file:
    127.0.0.1   $uqhn
    This should perhaps be changed to the following:
    127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain localhost

Even after changing the first line of /etc/hosts to "127.0.0.1
localhost.localdomain localhost" I still got the same output from 'mpdcheck
-l'

Please note that I do not have access to the DNS server of the network and
these machines do not have a DNS entry in the DNS server. (I think this
should not be a problem because we can always use IP addresses instead of
hostnames. Isn't it so?)

Thanks,

Akshey