[mpich-discuss] launch failed when debugging i VS2008, 32bit application on 64 bit platform, on W7

Iris Pernille Lohmann ipl at dhigroup.com
Thu Sep 23 07:15:10 CDT 2010

Dear list members,

I recently changed to Windows7 64 bit platform.

I reinstalled VisualStudio 2008 and SP1, along with IntelVisualFortran.

I also reinstalled MPICH2 for 32 bit windows, because the mpi-application I want to debug is 32 bit.

I have no trouble compiling and running the resulting executable outside VS2008.

But when I want to debug in VS2008, I get an error. It used to work on 32 bit Windows Vista.

This is the error notice, which comes for both processes (with my comments in <>):

Launch failed: CreateProcess (C:\Windows\System32\mpishim.exe APCxxx {<a long number>} C:\Work\ns3\bin\ns3hs.exe caseA_reg1.in on 'apc665' failed, error 2 - The system cannot find the file specified.

The settings in VS on the property page for debugging is:

Configuration: Active (Debug)
Platform: Active (Win32)
Debugger to launch: MPI Cluster Debugger

MPIRun Command: C:\Program Files (x86)\MPICH2\bin\mpiexec.exe
MPIRun Arguments: -n 2
MPIRun Working Directory: C:\projects\11802389-1_SeabedWindfarmInteraction\test_new_user\wave_3D_stokes\caseA_reg1_channel\input
Application Command: C:\Work\ns3\bin\ns3hs.exe
Application Arguments: caseA_reg1.in
MPIShim Location: C:\Windows\System32\mpishim.exe
MPI network security mode: Accept connections from any address
MPI network filter: <empty>
Debugger type: Auto

I have searched for tickets of the same kind but haven't found any. Do you know if there is any way I can get information on which file that can't be found? Or what the problem is? Do I have some wrong files, or do I miss a setting in VS? Remember that the program compiles and can be run outside VS2008.
(I have checked that the paths and file-names are ok!)

I will be happy for any suggestion!
Many thanks in advance,
Iris