[mpich-discuss] problem with the port number when "the reconnect request"

Wei Lu weilu at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 20 13:21:07 CDT 2010

Hi,
I am running mpich2 on couple windows server machines, which have some firewall restriction , namely only several ports are accessible on each machine.
So I explicitly have smpd listened on port 18000, which is enabled by the firewall, by "smpd.exe -p 18000"
However, when I call mpiexec on another machine by mpiexec.exe -hosts 1 10.115.130.153 1 -p 18000 hostname, the mpiexec stuck until timeout was thrown.
>From the log of smpd (listed below) , seems to me smpd issued the "reconnection request" and then spawns a new  smpd manager process , which listens on port 56412, which unfortunately is not enabled by the firewall.
So my question is
Why I got this situation? And how can I limit the port to be used if this situation is unavoidable?

Thank you very much
Wei

D:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin>smpd.exe -d 5 -p 18000
created a set for the listener: 500
smpd listening on port 18000
Unable to get the data for the key 'no_dynamic_hosts'
sock_waiting for the next event.
SOCK_OP_ACCEPT event.error = 0, result = 0, context=listener
authenticating new connection
posting a write of the challenge string: 1.2.1p1 9116
sock_waiting for the next event.
SOCK_OP_WRITE event.error = 0, result = 0, context=undetermined
wrote challenge string: '1.2.1p1 9116'
sock_waiting for the next event.
SOCK_OP_READ event.error = 0, result = 0, context=undetermined
read challenge response: '0ddcd0a20b925177af7e47a03eb402dd'
sock_waiting for the next event.
SOCK_OP_WRITE event.error = 0, result = 0, context=undetermined
wrote connect result: 'SUCCESS'
sock_waiting for the next event.
SOCK_OP_READ event.error = 0, result = 0, context=undetermined
read session request: 'process'
sock_waiting for the next event.
SOCK_OP_WRITE event.error = 0, result = 0, context=undetermined
wrote no cred request: 'nocredentials'
starting command: "D:\Program Files\MPICH2\bin\smpd.exe" -p 18000 -d 5 -mgr -re
d 00000000000002C0 -write 00000000000002BC
CreateProcess
smpd reading the port string from the manager
manager creating listener and session sets.
created set for manager listener, 764
smpd manager listening on port 54614
manager writing port back to smpd.
smpd sending the account to the manager
smpd sending the password to the manager
smpd sending the smpd passphrase to the manager
closing the pipe to the manager
smpd writing reconnect request: port 54614
sock_waiting for the next event.
SOCK_OP_WRITE event.error = 0, result = 0, context=undetermined
wrote reconnect request: '54614'
sock_waiting for the next event.
manager reading account and password from smpd.
sock_waiting for the next event.
SOCK_OP_CLOSE event.error = 0, result = 0, context=undetermined
op_close received - SMPD_CLOSING state.
Unaffiliated undetermined context closing.
freeing undetermined context.
sock_waiting for the next event.