[mpich-discuss] build cluster

Gustavo Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Fri Nov 26 14:53:54 CST 2010

Hi

If you are just starting with clusters,
it may be easier to install Rocks:

http://www.rocksclusters.org/wordpress/

It is based in CentOS, not Ubuntu, but it will take care of
many cluster details for you, saving a lot of time and effort.
Install the basic "rolls" and chose from Torque *or* SGE job queue managers (not both).
Then install your own MPICH2 in /share/apps in the head node/frontend node.
You'll be up and running faster.
Rocks is free, has a decent User Guide,
which you should read before you start installation, additional
documentation, and mailing list support.

My two cents,
Gus Correa