[mpich-discuss] Undefined references to MPL, seems to be caused by --if-needed

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Fri Nov 19 14:43:59 CST 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:27:27 -0600 (CST), chan at mcs.anl.gov wrote:

> Hi Jed,
>
> I can't reproduce the undefined MPL symbols error after configuring 1.3.1
> with your options except --with-python=python2 under linux.  AFAIK, I don't
> think mpich2 added "-Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed" in mpicxx.  Could
> you check if you have LDFLAGS or CXXFLAGS somehow set in your environment ?
> Or what platform are you building mpich2 on ?

Ah, it's Arch Linux and you're right,

  LDFLAGS="-Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed"

is in the default package build environment (the environment packages
are to be built in, not the environment users are running).  I'll use
MPICH2LIB_LDFLAGS so it doesn't go into the wrapper (I already did this
for CFLAGS, but forgot LDFLAGS when upstream started setting it by
default).  Sorry for the confusion, and here is the Arch package.

Jed