[mpich-discuss] mpich2-1.3 and mpe2-1.3 tests fail with undefined references

chan at mcs.anl.gov chan at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 16 13:11:38 CST 2010

----- Original Message -----
> On 12/11/10 16:12 -0600, Anthony Chan wrote:
> >
> > The following tests can be avoid if you configure MPE2 or MPICH2
> > with --disable-graphics.
>
> Correct, however many users do require this functionality.

OK.

> > > /var/tmp/portage/mpi-mpich2/mpe2-1.3.0/work/mpe2-1.3.0/bin/mpecc
> > > -mpianim -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -o cpi_anim
> > > cpi.o -lm

Can you add -show to the above command and send me the output ?
> > The symbols, sincos, pow and trunc, are normally resolved by
> > libm.a/libm.so.
> > -lm is used in the link command. It seems mpicc refuses to link with
> > -lm,
> > so my guess is that some of the CFLAGS or LDFLAGS may be
> > incompatible with
> > "-lm",

> jbronder at mejis ~ $ /usr/lib64/mpi/mpi-mpich2/usr/bin/mpicc -o pow
> pow.c -lm
> jbronder at mejis ~ $ ./pow
> 4.000000

Can do "..../mpecc $option -o pow.c -lm" with option set to

1) -mpianim
2) -mpianim -mpianim -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--hash-style=gnu

and see if if it links.  If the answers are yes, then the problem is that
libmpe.a may have created with some incompatible flags.

> These flags are passed by portage to every autotools package in the
> portage
> tree. If they are causing an issue specific to mpich2/mpe2 I can
> disable
> them but I'd rather investigate a solution inside of the package's
> build
> system.

No need to disable the flags, we will investigate what causes the
-lm problem.

A.Chan