[mpich-discuss] unbalanced task distribution on SMP nodes

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 13 09:20:12 CDT 2010

We recommend all users to just move to the Hydra process manager. You
can just do:

% mpiexec.hydra -f mpd.hosts -n 16 my_prog.exe

With Hydra, there's no need to do mpdboot or mpdallexit. You can find
more information on Hydra here:
http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager

If you want to continue using MPD, you are missing one option in mpdboot:

% mpdboot -n 2 -f mpd.hosts --ncpus=8

The --ncpus option tells mpdboot how many processes to launch on the
local node.

  -- Pavan