[mpich-discuss] Windows/Linux MPICH2

Matthew Chambers matthew.chambers at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Mar 18 11:30:48 CDT 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to get a cluster working with three types of nodes: 64-bit
CentOS 5.4, 64-bit Windows 7, and 32-bit Fedora 8. The 32-bit machines
can't run a 64-bit OS so I'm stuck with 32-bit. I'm trying to do this
with SMPD but having trouble. Am I correct in thinking that I have to
use/compile the 32-bit version of MPICH2 on the 64-bit machines?

It appears that I can't use the Windows node as the typical head node
because it needs to map a network drive with different user credentials
in order to run. So I'm back to using the CentOS box as a head node.
However, when I try to run a job which includes the Windows node, the
job hangs.

"smpd -status <windows-hostname>" works as expected from the CentoOS box
"smpd -status <centos-hostname>" works as expected from the Windows box

But trying to run a job and it hangs after outputting "Process #1
(<windows-hostname>) has started."

I've attached the SMPD debug logs for both the CentOS and Windows boxes.
I've tried both 1.2.1p1 and 1.3a1 with the same result.

Thanks,
Matt