[mpich-discuss] MPICH SSH?

Peter Smith peter.smith3882100 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 08:30:37 CST 2010

Hi

I have installed and configured MPICH2 version 1.2.1p1 in a test
environment with one master and three worker nodes. I am new to MPICH
and therefore i have used different tutorials on the net to configure
the package. Everything seems to function correctly, when submitting
the example program from the "Example program" section at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_Passing_Interface i get the
expected responses (i think). Passwordless SSH is configured on all
machines as descriped in many of tutorials. If i disable SSH on the
cluster, everything is still functional, i get the same responses from
the example program and if i log into the worker nodes i can see the
program being run in the task list. I dont understand why MPICH can
still function when SSH is disabled?

I still have a lot of reading on the subject to understand the
technology, but i thougt that i was pretty clear on that MPICH needed
SSH to function?