[mpich-discuss] Something to share: mpd+clearcase craziness

chong tan chong_guan_tan at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 15:40:27 CST 2010

just to share this info incase someone else run into it.

I am using clearcase to build my code in 2 different view (per Clarecase).  In my env, I always
have to do a 'cleartool setview' to get into clearcase so, there cannot be any setup error.
In these 2 view, I build 2 versions of my code that use MPI, a steady version and 'development' version,
which are quite different as I am  making chages to the code.  The executable are all stored in Clearcase vobs.
 (vobs is clearcase file system for 'view', things inside vobs are neither linux dir or file)

the test case, however, resides in a linux dir.  I started mpd on my machine as

mpd&

I then started to run my executables from each view.  After a while, mpd started to get very confused,
it either picked up the wrong executable (from the wrong vobs), or complain that the executable
can not be found, and eventually got stuck at not being able to find the executable.

Since clear /vobs are not intervisible unless the mapped path is used explicitly, there is no way executable from
another vobs is picked up, I confirm this bad behavior by using "ls -l` and `which`.

The solution I figured out was to end  mpd, and start it up again everytime I move to a different view.  That is annoying,
but does the trick.

Hopefully, someone may find this info later.

tan