[mpich-discuss] MPE tracing

chan at mcs.anl.gov chan at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 23 13:57:07 CDT 2010

The equivalent of customized logging for tracing is to add a
printf("Starting of block A...") before the selected block of codes
and do another printf("Ending of block A...") after the block of codes.
But that still produces a lot of output.  I think what should be done
is to have MPI_Pcontrol() implemented in the tracing library, so that
one can turn on or off tracing with MPI_Pcontrol.  I think the feature
can be easily added to the trace_mpi_core.c ...  But it is not there yet.

Given the tracing library does not have MPI_Pcontrol support and you may
want to use logging library with MPI_Pcontrol instead.  BTW, are the
MPI programs being profiled uses communicator besides MPI_COMM_WORLD ?
If the answer is yes, your version of logging library may contain
bugs in MPI_Pcontrol when used with MPI communicator functions.  Let
me know, I will give you a patch...

A.Chan