[mpich-discuss] mpdboot for ssh with password - a suggestion

Swatch Puppy swatchpuppy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 07:53:56 CDT 2010

Ok guys,

Aparently you didn't understood me, the server hasn't been configured to
allow ssh without a password, to change that i must be root, and i don't
have the permissions because it's the school computers that i'm talking
about. And i believe that i'm not the only one in this position, so just put
this solution in the faq or something like that, instead of trying to teach
me how to make ssh work without a password.

>From http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/152 :

There are three common problems when setting up passwordless logins:

   - The remote SSH server hasn't been setup to allow public key
   authentication.
   - File permissions cause problems.
   - Your keytype isn't supported.

Each of these problems is easily fixable, although the first will require
you have root privileges upon the remote host.

If the remote server doesn't allow public key based logins you will need to
updated the SSH configuration. To do this edit the file
/etc/sshd/sshd_config with your favourite text editor.

You will need to uncomment, or add, the following two lines:

RSAAuthentication yes
PubkeyAuthentication yes

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Reuti <reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 05.06.2010 um 16:36 schrieb Pavan Balaji:
>

>  You need to setup passwordless ssh on your system, as described in the
>> README. You can google for "passwordless ssh" to figure out how to do that.
>>
>> Btw, there's not going to be a next version of MPD -- in the MPICH2 1.3.x
>> series, we have moved to a new process manager called Hydra. But that still
>> requires a passwordless ssh.
>>

> instead of using passphraseless ssh-keys, I prefer hostbased-authorization
> in a cluster:
>
> http://gridengine.sunsource.net/howto/hostbased-ssh.html
>
> Maybe this option could also be mentioned somewhere at Open MPI besides
> using passphraseless ssh-keys.
>
> -- Reuti
>

>  -- Pavan
>>
>> On 06/05/2010 09:32 AM, Swatch Puppy wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>> I've been trying to setup a cluster in my university labs, but i can't do
>>> ssh to the others computers without password. This is a problem if mpdboot
>>> is used to start up the mpd ring, because it will asks for a lot of
>>> passwords at the same time.
>>> So I've edited the mpdboot python file and added *mpd.wait()* in line 361
>>> for mpich2 1.0.6, and 375 for mpich2 1.2.1p1, just after *mpd =
>>> Popen4(cmd,0)*, in this way it will ask a password per connection