[mpich-discuss] machinefile error

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 21 15:21:48 CDT 2010

On Jul 21, 2010, at 3:11 PM CDT, SULLIVAN David (AREVA) wrote:

> I verified that yes, each of the nodes appear in the known_hosts file. I
> know that I can ssh from any of the nodes into the others.

Does the name used in the known_hosts file exactly match the name used in the hostfile given to mpiexec?  "node1" and "node1.somecompany.com" are not the same to ssh's host key checking mechanism, even if ssh-ing to either one gets you to the same host in the end.

> There is no
> firewall that I am aware of (I am running Red Hat 5.4). I can freely
> ping each of the nodes, wouldn't that fail if they were firewalled?

Probably not, depending on how the firewall was configured.

-Dave