[mpich-discuss] Can't boot mpd anymore after cluster reboot

Thomas Ruedas ruedas at dtm.ciw.edu
Wed Jan 27 14:04:39 CST 2010

Dave Goodell wrote:
> The mpdcheck utility is usually the best method for diagnosing
> networking problems that will interfere with mpd and mpdboot.  Sometimes
> "mpdboot -v <ORIGINAL_ARGS_HERE>" also helps.
Ok, so I tried this:
mpdboot -v -n 2 -f mpd.hosts --ncpus=2
running mpdallexit on xenia.gl.ciw.edu
LAUNCHED mpd on xenia.gl.ciw.edu  via
mpdboot_xenia.gl.ciw.edu (handle_mpd_output 406): failed to handshake
with mpd on xenia.gl.ciw.edu; recvd output={}

I don't know whether there is a linebreak after "via" in the 2nd line
(i.e. if it actually reads "via mpdboot") or if something is actually
missing, but that's all I get.
> Alternatively, you can try using the hydra process manager instead
> (mpiexec.hydra):
This version *should* work - I have used it before the shutdown this
way, and no updates have been made since.
Thomas