[mpich-discuss] system usage

Jan Dettmer jand at uvic.ca
Tue Jan 26 13:12:29 CST 2010

Hi all,

I have a program I am running on 10 nodes with each node having 8 cores.
The program runs fine and used about 1/4 of the total memory on each
node. When look st the ganglia CPU usage, it indicates that 70% of the
CPU time are spent on system processes. Can anyone point me towards what
this means? Is this perhaps due to a large communication overhead in my
code?

The cluster is interconnected with gigabit ethernet. The code I am
running is an MCMC integration scheme.

Thanks very much, Jan

--
Jan Dettmer, PhD
School of Earth and Ocean Sciences, University of Victoria