[mpich-discuss] mpiexec Execution Problem - No file or directory

Brooks Garrison bgarisn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 15:26:19 CST 2010

Hello all,

I currently have a 'cluster' of computers running Ubuntu 9.10.  I've
installed MPICH2 on all of them and set up each of the computers so
that all can ssh / scp to on another without requiring a password.

I'm able to start up my MPI daemons with

mpdboot -n 6 -f /home/bgarrison/MPI/mpd.hosts -v

I'm able to run

mpdtrace -l | sort  --> see the correct node numbers and their
corresponding IP addresses.

mpiexec -n 6 hostname --> see the correctly output names of each of
the nodes in my cluster.

mpiexec -n 6 /home/bgarrison/MPI_Build/examples/cpi --> see which
process is running on which node, the approximation of pi, the error
and the wall clock time.

I then tried to compile and run the following program:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <mpi.h>

main(int argc, char **argv)
{
   int node;

   MPI_Init(&argc,&argv);
   MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD, &node);

   printf("Hello World from Node %d\n",node);

   MPI_Finalize();
}

by CDing into the directory with the executable and running:

mpiexec -n 2 /home/bgarrison/bin/mpi_hello

but I get an error:

problem with execution of /home/bgarrison/bin/mpi_hello on Node1:
[Errno 2] No such file or directory.

BUT...if I copy the executable to the /home/bgarrison/bin directory on
Node 1, everything works fine.  I don't understand this.  I thought
MPI did the copy for you?

Is there a special directory I should put my executables in, in order
to run them on my MPI ring?

Thanks for any and all help.

Brooks