[mpich-discuss] installation of mpich-1.2.7p1, the suffix of f90 source files and the iostream.h header file

Cezary Śliwa sliwa at cft.edu.pl
Thu Jan 7 05:37:59 CST 2010

This is a copy of a message sent to the mpi-maint mailing list.
I am not sure whether posting this to mpich-discuss is appropriate
and apologize if it's not.

Hello,

I try to install mpich-1.2.7p1 on CentOS 4 x86_64 using GCC 4.3.4
(compiler installed by myself). It seems that the configure code in
src/fortran that detects the extension of Fortran 90 source files does
not work. The code is F90_SUFFIX="$ac_f90ext", but ac_f90ext is not set.
Indeed, the earlier code tries .f as the extension
(ac_ext=${ac_f90ext-f}) and if this works, ac_f90ext remains unset. The
f90 extension is tried and assigned to ac_f90ext only if this is not the
case. To workaround this, I have set ac_f90ext=f90.

What bothers me is that one of a few configure runs worked fine (the
example Fortran programs compiled correctly). I cannot reproduce this (I
am not sure if I have changed some environment variables since then). My
problem is that I am not an autoconf guru and it seems the autoconf
input files are missing (or the configure scripts are not in sync with
them). This all looks complicated and I don't know if ac_f90ext was not
meant to be set by some other configure script and cached. If it was,
something prevents this to happen (possibly non-deterministically).

Finally, the C++ code uses <iostream.h>. This header file is deprecated
for many years, and is missing from GCC 4.3.4. I attach a patch do
migrate to <iostream> (the relevant comments need a fix also; I edited
the configure scripts manually, I know they are generated).

Regards,
Cezary Sliwa

GCC is installed in /opt/gcc/4.3.4

export CC='gcc'
export FC='gfortran'
export F77_GETARGDECL=" "
export F90='gfortran'
export CXX='g++'
export LDFLAGS='-Wl,-rpath,/opt/gcc/4.3.4/lib64'
export CLINKER='gcc'
export FLINKER='gfortran'
export F90LINKER='gfortran'
export CXXLINKER='g++'
export RSHCOMMAND=/usr/bin/rsh

./configure --with-device=ch_p4 --prefix=/opt/mpich/gnu_4.3.4_64/ch_p4
--with-common-prefix=/opt/mpich/gnu_4.3.4_64 --enable-f90
--enable-f90modules --with-romio="-with-file-system=ufs+nfs"
--with-comm=shared --mpe_opts="--with-java2=/opt/jdk
--x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib64 --x-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
--enable-viewers"