[mpich-discuss] Fedora 12 compiling issues

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Feb 20 15:18:10 CST 2010

On 02/20/2010 03:09 PM, rcx11 at yahoo.com wrote:
> I would have been using that, but Fedora 12 builds MPICH with
> gfortran, which is symlinked to f90, and gcc. I don't have symlinks
> or alias for mpif90 or mpicc. Also, using the mpif90 and mpicc, the
> installation instructions specify the usage of the -lmpich tag.

I don't quite follow the problem here. mpicc is nothing but a wrapper
that internally just calls gcc with the appropriate compile and link
flags. Similarly, mpif90 is a wrapper that internally calls gfortran. If
you use gcc or gfortran directly, you need to specify -lmpich. If you
use mpicc/mpif90, they'll automatically specify -lmpich (and all the
other required libraries) for you.

Though not ideal, if you decide to not use this method, you can do:

% mpicc -show

.. to see all the libraries it is using and link them manually using
--with-MPILIB. But note that this can again change in the future.

 -- Pavan