[mpich-discuss] Help with mpich2 1.3a1 on i7-920

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 17 18:34:15 CST 2010

On 02/17/2010 06:25 PM, Gaetano Bellanca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have compiled the new 1.3a1 version of mpich2 on a (single) Intel
> i7-920 (ubuntu 9.10 - Intel Fortran 11.1).
> This is a new machine just installed today, and I'm running the first
> tests.
> I have successfully compiled my simulator but, launching the simulation
> with:
> mpiexec -n 2 -f hosts -bootstrap ssh my_simulator
>
> I have the message:
> Assertion failed in file helper_fns.c at line 337: 0
> memcpy argument memory ranges overlap, dst_=0x2636cf0 src_=0x2636cf0 len_=4

My first guess is that the application is passing bad buffers, that
wasn't caught by mpich2-1.2.1. Do you have a trace of which MPI call
this is being triggered from, and what arguments you are passing to it?

> the host file contains two times the name of the computer.

Not relevant to the error above, but you can use the ":2" format, to
specify the number of cores you have, if you like:

% cat hosts
hostname1:2
hostname2:4

 -- Pavan