[mpich-discuss] mpdboot

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 10 08:58:49 CST 2010

If there is only a single machine, you can just run "mpd &" on that
machine.  There is no need to use mpdboot.  However if you ever get an
additional machine, you should invoke mpdboot as:

-------8<-------
mpdboot --ncpus=<N_ON_CURRENT_HOST> -n <NUM_MPDS_TO_START> -f <HOSTFILE>
-------8<-------

Where <HOSTFILE> contains something like:

-------8<-------
hostA:8
hostB:8
hostC:8

Where hostA/hostB/hostC is the hostname of each host you want to
participate in the ring and "8" is the number of cores for that host.

You can also use hydra, which has a slightly less complicated user
interface and doesn't require setting up daemons before running the
job: http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager

-Dave