[mpich-discuss] Hydra

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Dec 15 12:09:44 CST 2010

Hi,

Am 15.12.2010 um 18:51 schrieb Pavan Balaji:

> On 12/15/2010 11:40 AM, Reuti wrote:
>> What about:
>>
>> minserv1-gig:8 ifhn=minserv1-gig
>> minserv2-gig:8
>
> The ifhn= string is no longer required with Hydra. The hostname provided is automatically picked for all MPI communication.

okay, I see. I thought the minserv1-gig might first get mangled to minserv1 and this name send to minserv2-gig for the name of the origin (there was something in MPICH1, where you had to set MPI_HOST if you want to use the secondary interface on the master node).

I understood the original question in such a way, that only minserv1 has two network interfaces, but not minserv2.

To be honest: in our installation the primary interface is the one used solely for MPI (or other parallel libs) and so we circumvent this twisting of interfaces, as it's happening more or less to other parallel libraries too, to force them to use the secondary interface otherwise. The second interface can then be used for other things like NFS or SSH which is a one-time setup, and there is no need to tweak it again for every new parallel library.

-- Reuti