[mpich-discuss] Spawning using a hostfile

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Dec 3 01:48:23 CST 2010

On 12/02/2010 04:31 PM, Suraj Prabhakaran wrote:
> For my project, I need to spawn processes on hosts specified by a
> hostfile/machinefile. I am trying to specify it using the info option.
> As I see it, 1.3.1 does not support this yet (If yes, how?). Will this
> feature be available any time soon? Either way, it would help me to know
> how the implementation will rank the processes. In the sense, will the
> processes be ranked in the order of hosts specified in the hostfile or
> by some other mechanism?

Currently, the spawning occurs in the order specified in the host file.
Hydra doesn't respect the hostname argument, though I agree that it's a
useful addition.

I've created a ticket for this:
https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/ticket/1141

Please add yourself to the CC list if you'd like to follow any changes
to the ticket.

  -- Pavan