[mpich-discuss] romio large array

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 26 08:05:41 CDT 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 12:27 PM, burlen wrote:

> I have an array which I like to read into a single process it's
> 1024x1024x512x4, 2GB, but when I try to read it I get the error
>
> Invalid argument, error stack:
> MPI_FILE_READ_ALL(105): Invalid count argument
>
> In this case count is 536870912 and data type is MPI_FLOAT. Is it
> possible to read the 2GB array on a single process ? The system has
> 16 GB per node.

[adding RobL]

It looks like ROMIO is checking for reads of more data than INT_MAX
bytes in a single call.  I'm guessing that this is defensive because
some of the internal code in ROMIO may not be prepared to handle this
case.  Rob can probably comment with less speculation.

The best workaround is probably to split the read into two reads for
now.

-Dave