[mpich-discuss] MPI_Comm_dup problem

Ingo Bojak I.Bojak at donders.ru.nl
Wed Apr 14 15:09:01 CDT 2010

Hi,

this is actually a problem I'm having with MVAPICH2 1.2, but I guess it
would be OK to ask about that here?

I'm running a routine from a parallel library (not my code, no access to
the source), which in its call requires a pointer to a communicator.
Everything works fine for many calls, when suddenly the program crashes with

Fatal error in MPI_Comm_dup:
Other MPI error, error stack:
MPI_Comm_dup(216)..: MPI_Comm_dup(comm=0x84000005,
new_comm=0x7fffffffdfb0) failed
MPIR_Comm_copy(655): Too many communicators

which makes we wonder if the library is missing a MPI_Comm_free call
somewhere? If so, I don't see how I can fix that from the outside.

If someone has a suggestion for a workaround, that would be highly
appreciated.

Best,
Ingo