[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 and OpenPBS/Torque using MPICH2-Hydra

Si Hammond simon.hammond at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:10:58 CDT 2009

Hi everyone,

We're trying to get MPICH2 to work under PBS so that users don't need
to specify the number of processors etc. We have built the install
with the MPICH2-Hydra device and this seems to work (in that jobs will
run) but users still have to specify the number of MPI ranks using -n.

I found the -rmk flag in some documentation using Google but "-rmk
pbs" doesn't seem to work either (the example uses "-rmk lsf")

How does a user like myself go about making a PBS-enabled MPICH2 build
to the job placement etc is all handled under the covers? Is this
possible? OpenMPI seems to have this covered but we'd like to install
MPICH2 as well since one of our codes only runs with MPICH2.

Thanks for your help.

Si Hammond

Performance Modelling, Analysis and Optimisation Laboratory
High Performance Systems Group
Department of Computer Science
University of Warwick, CV4 7AL, UK