[mpich-discuss] ch3:nemesis performance and SMP cluster

Vamvakopoulos Manolis evamvak at cs.uoi.gr
Sat Sep 5 17:09:03 CDT 2009

Dear Developers and Users

In our cluster we have already install  mpich2-1.0.8 as a default production
version configure with ch3:ssm device.

With the above lib ,an application  with alltoall communication (let's say
amber9) "runs" efficiently  on 16 procs with 1 procs per node  (16x1)
and 16 procs with two procs per node (8x2) (run's time are comparable)

I make run test with same application and  mpich2-1.1.1p1 with nemesis device
and the same tests was faster (up to 30%) on first case (one proc per node)

same behavior i found with  mpich2-1.1.1p and ch3:ssm device

In all case with mpich2-1.1.1p the runs on 16 procs on 16 different node were
faster

-----
Our cluster consist from DL145 HP with 2 single CPU: opteron 248 2.2 MHZ with
4GB per node with linux 2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp SL 4.7 and for the interconnect we
use a full crossbar dedicate Gigabit switch (with high backplane 400Gb)

can somebody  shed a light to this issue

thank you very much in advance

E.V.

--
University OF Ioannina