[mpich-discuss] Can ch3:nemesis:mx use both MX and TCP networks ?

Audet, Martin Martin.Audet at imi.cnrc-nrc.gc.ca
Wed Oct 14 13:43:15 CDT 2009

Hi Scott,

For now this feature is a "nice to have" we don't really need it. It would give us some flexibility for one specific (but important) project.

For the same specific project we would be much more interested in being able to connect with an intercommunicator two independent MPI jobs using MPI_Comm_connect()/MPI_Comm_accept().

Since mpich2-1.1.1p1 a phase was added about this in the RELEASE_NOTES saying that:

 "ch3:nemesis:mx does not support dynamic processes at this time."

We hope it will be fixed some days. In the mean time, for again the same specific project, we mostly use OpenMPI which allows dynamic process and is very flexible in choosing the fastest communication method between two processes (for the fun I tried one job spread over three clusters where GM, MX, TCP/IP and shared memory were used).

Martin