[mpich-discuss] Can I run MPI program without mpirun/mpiexec?

Jayesh Krishna jayesh at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 23 11:18:30 CST 2009

Hi,
 You need to have some sort of process manager (capable of launching processes on the user's behalf - ie, one of the functionalities provided by the SMPD process manager) to achieve that.
 Developers who typically run their MPI programs without a job launcher (mpiexec), spawn (MPI_Comm_spawn*()) additional processes, if needed (Unless the developer has his own process manager capable of launching processes).
 You might also want to take a look at the windows developer's guide - available at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/index.php?s=docs - Section 9.8 on how to debug programs by starting them manually.

Regards,
Jayesh