[mpich-discuss] MPI_Allgatherv complexity

Justin Luitjens luitjens at cs.utah.edu
Mon Nov 2 20:58:05 CST 2009

Hi,

I also contacted Kim McMahon of Cray about this.  He told me this:

Hi Justin,

Hmm. This performance looks pretty bad.  This reminds me of some
MPI_Allgather performance results I gathered several months ago.
We found that the MPICH2 MPI_Allgather algorithm was not scaling
on Cray's XT systems.  At that point, I re-wrote the MPI_Allgather
algorithm for XT.  Given your data, it looks like I might need to
do the same for MPI_Allgatherv.  As of our current release, we are
still using the MPICH2 algorithm for MPI_Allgatherv.

Is there any chance you can substitute an MPI_Allgather for your
MPI_Allgatherv calls?

I will look deeper into the Allgatherv performance in the next
few weeks.  I'll let you know if I have something new for you to
try.

-Kim

I decided to change my test program to use all gather and performed the same
tests.  The results are attached.  As you can see the performance is much
better.  I will try and figure out if cray has the new algorithm
implemented.  This might also be a problem with XT.

Justin