[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 on HPC Server 2008 wdir problem

Addepalli, Srirangam V srirangam.v.addepalli at ttu.edu
Sat May 16 21:48:11 CDT 2009

Hello Jayesh,

I tried both the options suggested.

mpiexec -np 8 -path Z:\BIN\ nwchem.exe siosi3.nw  (Here Z:\BIN is a network mapped drive)
with MS HPC job scheduler variables  WorkingDirectory \\Fileshare\BIN\
Using this option i was able to get the executable to start but it exits as it is not able find the input file.. siosi3.nw

argument  1 = siosi3.nw
  could not open a file in permanent directory:
  could not open a file in scratch directory:
  Both permanent and scratch directory not accessible
 ******** Fatal Error ********      911
This option worked till it found the nwchem.exe binary. But executable (nwchem) failed to read the input file from the directory it was supposed to be reading from. I believe these errors are caused by the way the file sharing is setup.

I switched over to the second option and specified the full path

mpiexec -np 8  \\Fileserv\BIN\nwchem.exe siosi3.nw

Working Directory \\Fileserv\BIN\

This kills the compute node ..with no information in the event viewer about what triggered the reboot.same set of jobs work perfectly fine using mpiexec wrapper interface ...

So for i was only able to get it to work using mpiexecwrapper.

mpiexec -np 8 nwchem.exe siosi3.nw  (this works when both nwchem.exe and siosi3.nw are located in C:\
MPICH2\bin)

Rangam