[mpich-discuss] Documentation on MPI C++ bindings and non-blocking messages

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed May 6 11:55:58 CDT 2009

Marc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's not really a lot of information on how to use the MPI C++
> bindings and I was wondering if someone knows a good online reference
> with a lot of comprehensive examples, not just prototypes functions.
>
> I would like to see complete examples on how to use non-blocking
> messages (in MPI C++ form...) in a safe and efficient way, that is using
> MPI::Status, MPI::Request::Test, etc.
>
> Thanks

Hi Marc

I am not a C++ programmer, I must say for starters.

The LAM MPI Tutorials have a few C++ examples,
some with non-blocking calls.
Sorry, just a few simple examples,
not "a lot of comprehensive examples" as you wish.

See (in particular Part 2 average.cc and overlap.cc):

http://www.lam-mpi.org/tutorials/nd/

There are some examples here, but they seem to use only blocking
calls, although I haven't checked them all:

http://people.sc.fsu.edu/~burkardt/cpp_src/mpi/mpi.html

In any case, it should not be too difficult to translate the existing
MPI examples written in C to C++.
You can find plenty of examples in C with non-blocking calls online.
Besides the links above, check:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/tutorial/mpiexmpl/contents.html
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/usingmpi/
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/tutorial/gropp/talk.html
http://www.lam-mpi.org/tutorials/
https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/mpi/
https://computing.llnl.gov/tutorials/
http://www.llnl.gov/computing/tutorials/mpi_advanced/DavidCronkSlides.pdf
ftp://math.usfca.edu/pub/MPI/mpi.guide.ps.Z

I hope this helps.

Gus Correa