[mpich-discuss] Cannot build mpich2-1.0.8p1 (nemesis) with PGI 8.0-4 on Linux x86_64

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 30 18:36:02 CDT 2009

On Mar 30, 2009, at 6:12 PM, Gus Correa wrote:

> I tried to build the latest mpich2-1.0.8p1,
> with the nemesis communication device,
> using the PGI 8.0-4 compilers (pgcc, pgcpp, and pgf90)
> on a Linux x86_64 computer, but it failed.
>
> The error message, which happens during the make phase, is:
> BTW, I built mpich2-1.0.8p1 with nemesis on the same computer
> using Gnu compilers (gcc, g++, gfortran),
> and also using Intel compilers (icc, icpc, ifort).
> However, we also need the PGI build of MPICH2.
>
> I appreciate any help.

Hi Gus,

Thanks for the bug report.  Did you successfully build the original
mpich2-1.0.8 (non-patch) release with these same PGI compilers?  The
changes from 1.0.8 to 1.0.8p1 are pretty small [1] and I don't see how
they would have altered your ability to build MPICH2 with the PGI
compilers.

Things might be better in the latest 1.1b1 release, but I doubt it.
I'm not sure exactly what form of inline assembly the PGI compilers
use, but we can make an effort to support it in the 1.1.0 stable
release if this is important to you.  The inline assembly in the PGI
manual looks like gcc-style, so we might just have a bad configure
test.  Would you mind sending us the output from configure as well as
the config.log?  You can send it to me directly to avoid spamming the
list with log files.  That should help me figure out what's going on
with the configure test since I don't have a copy of the PGI compilers
installed anywhere handy.

In the mean time you could install one of the other channels such as
ch3:sock for the PGI-compiled version.  The intranode performance
won't be as good but it should work just fine.

-Dave

[1] https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset?new=mpich2%2Fbranches%2Frelease%2FMPICH2_1_0_8%404206&old=mpich2%2Fbranches%2Frelease%2FMPICH2_1_0_8%403379