[mpich-discuss] MPICH on Single Machine (vivian)

Vivian viviantj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:26:16 CDT 2009

Hi, Andy,
     (1) If all the processors are in one computer, you don't need to
identify host names.
     "mpiexec –n 16 c:\program files\mpich2\examples\cpi.exe"
     (2) If the processors distribute in different computers connected
through a network, you need to find the following information for each
computer.
                        Domain Name: domainname  (It is required to find a
computer in the network)
                        Host Name: hostname (The host name can be used to
identify a computer only when all the computers are in the same subnetwork.)
                        IP Address: 1.2.3.4
                        User Name: username  (The user name required to log
in the machine)
                        Password: **********  (The corresponding password
required to log in the machine)
       Then you need to register each “user” in the master node so that a
domain name, user name and password can be automatically retrieved by
mpiexec to launch processes.
        "mpiexec –register user 1 domainname\username\**********"
       After the above steps, you can run
        "mpiexe c –hosts 16 domainnameA 1 domainnameB 1 .....  c:\program
files\mpich2\examples\cpi.exe"

Vivian