[mpich-discuss] Overflow in MPI_Aint

Christina Patrick christina.subscribes at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 19:04:07 CDT 2009

Hi Everybody,

I am trying to create an array 32768 x 32768 x 8 bytes(double) = 8GB
file using 16 MPI processes. However, everytime, I try doing that, MPI
aborts. The backtrace is showing me that there is a problem in
ADIOI_Calc_my_off_len() function. There is a variable there:
MPI_Aint filetype_extent;

and the value of the variable is filetype_extent = 0 whenever it executes
MPI_Type_extent(fd->filetype, &filetype_extent);
Hence, when it reaches the statement:
    335             n_filetypes  = (offset - flat_file->indices[0]) /
filetype_extent;
I always get SIGFPE. Is there a solution to this problem? Can I create
such a big file?
I checked the value of the variable while creating a file of upto 2G
and it is NOT zero which makes me conclude that there is an overflow
when I am specifying 8G.

Thanks and Regards,
Christina.

PS: I am using the PVFS2 filesystem with mpich2-1.0.8 and pvfs-2.8.0.