[mpich-discuss] integrating mpich into MS Visual Studio for debugging FORTRAN

michael michael.bane at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Jul 8 08:38:22 CDT 2009

With thanks to Jayesh, and tips I've garnered from elsewhere (and
learning by mistake!), I've pulled together a short example on using
MS Visual Studio for debugging MPI under MS Windows and would welcome
any comments re mistakes or omissions:

http://wiki.rcs.manchester.ac.uk/community/MPI/VisualStudio_mpich2_howto

Many thanks, Michael, Research Computing Services, University of
Manchester, United Kingdom

  (http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpich2/documentation/index.php?s
  > =docs) on debugging MPI programs.

  Had seen above but didn't seem to meet the requirements of doing it
  within the V.S. IDE... however:

  > # You can also attach to MPI programs that are running using the VS
  > debugger ("Attach to process").

  ah, didn't try the above... but also:

  > # If all the MPI processes are launched on the same machine/node
  > then you
  > can start smpd in debug mode (smpd -stop; smpd -d;) and use multiple
  > instances of VS to start your MPI program (mpiexec -n 2 devenv.exe
  > fpi.exe
  > ==> will start two VS windows and you can step individually through
  > them).

  yes! this seems similar to what I was looking for (but prefer to be
  able to kick off from the VS IDE itself!)

  > (PS: The debug versions of MPICH2 libraries, eg: fmpich2d.lib, is
only
  > required if you are debugging the MPICH2 library.)

  good point and many thanks for pointing that out ;)