[mpich-discuss] MPICH2-1.1 + PVFS-2.8.1 installation problem

Dave Goodell goodell at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jul 1 11:25:01 CDT 2009

On Jul 1, 2009, at 10:10 AM, Ashley Pittman wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 20:31 -0400, Shawn Kim wrote:
>> Error message:
>> $ make
>> ~~~~
>>

>> ../../../../../lib/libmpich.a(trmem.o)(.text+0x24c): In function
>> `MPIU_trvalid_unsafe':
>>
>> /home/mdl/seokim/mpich2-1.1
>> +pvfs-2.8.1/mpich2-1.1/src/util/mem/trmem.c:523: undefined reference
>> to `VALGRIND_MAKE_MEM_NOACCESS'
>
> I suspect this is a valgrind version issue, at some point in the past
> some of the VALGRIND_ macros got moved from <valgrind/valgrind.h> to
> <valgrind/memcheck.h>.  I'm not sure what MPICH2 is doing with these
> macros but you should find where it the code it includes valgrind.h
> and
> also include memcheck.h

When compiling with --enable-g=mem,meminit (or =all, which includes
=mem,meminit), we attempt to use some valgrind client request macros
if they are available.  The configure test that we currently use in
order to check for valgrind's availability is weaker than it probably
could be right now.  IIRC we mostly just check for the existence of
{valgrind.h,memcheck.h} and {valgrind/valgrind.h,valgrind/memcheck.h}
but not for any of the particular macros within them.

Shawn, what version of valgrind do you have installed?  (valgrind --
version should tell you)  I can strengthen the configure tests in
general, but it would help to have a known-bad version to test against
to ensure that the tests will function correctly.

This is something that I've been meaning to clean up for a little
while.  I just haven't because it's functionality that is used almost
exclusively by core MPICH2 developers and it seems to work on all of
our systems here at ANL.

-Dave