[mpich-discuss] install mpich2 on a mac

Vieira da silva, Nuno n.vieira-da-silva08 at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Feb 10 07:08:30 CST 2009

Hi,

I am trying to install mpich2 on a mac with Leopard 10.5.6.
I installed it using this configuration:

./configure --prefix=/Users/nvieira1/pkg/mpich2-1.0.8/install \
         --enable-f90 \
         --enable-sharedlibs=osx-gcc\
         2>&1 | tee c.txt

for c++ applications I am able to compile and link. For fortran I am
having problems linking. For instance for this simple example:

program test
  use mpi
  implicit none

  integer*4 ierr

  call  mpi_init(ierr)
  print*, ierr

  call mpi_finalize(ierr)

end program

I can compile with no problems using mpif90 -c test.f90
but during the linking stage I am getting this error:

$ mpif90 -o test test.o

Undefined symbols:
   "_mpi_finalize_", referenced from:
       _MAIN__ in test.o
   "_mpi_init_", referenced from:
       _MAIN__ in test.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It seems that I have missed something on the installation for the
fortran compiler. I have gfortran version 4.4.0
I would appreciate if someone could help me with this. many thanks in
advance
Best regards,
Nuno