[mpich-discuss] mpi runs for 15 hourrs, using 7 mins cpu

Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick mfitzpat at bu.edu
Wed Feb 4 10:45:57 CST 2009

I have a dual-dual core Opteron cluster running Cento5, torque-2.3.6,
maui-3.2.6p21, mpich2-1.0.8(64bit) and a docking program, parallel
dock6.  I installed dock6 serial as 32-bit, then installed dock6
parallel as 32-bit.
I have configured my queues and scripts to run the dock mpi jobs and
they do run to completion without errors.

The problem I am seeing is that my mpi job is running for a total of
15hours, but is using only ~ 7minutes of cputime.
outfile
Limits:         ncpus=4,neednodes=1,nodes=1,walltime=48:00:00
Resources:      cput=00:06:55,mem=9964kb,vmem=279836kb,walltime=15:12:46

When the job is running, I log into the node, and can see the cpu's at
100%, so it is not sitting idle and there is not an nfs traffic to speak of.

Anyone run into this issue before?  Is this an mpi issue?

--
Thanks
Mary Ellen