[mpich-discuss] MPICH2 on AIX

Pavan Balaji balaji at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Dec 13 12:24:55 CST 2009

On 12/13/2009 11:44 AM, Eric Sun wrote:
> FYI, I needed to edit src/openpa/src/Makefile to change "AR = ar" to "AR
> = ar -X64". So, the AR="ar -X64" didn't apply to this directory. Also,
> somehow I need to edit the main Makefile to add full path for "INSTALL =
> confdb/install-sh". Everything else is fine.

What errors were you seeing without these changes? This should work out
of the box, AFAICT.

> I'm now doing a first test using "mpiexec -l -n 4 hostname". For n=1, it
> always works. n=2 occasionally fails. n=3 occasionally successes. n=4
> always gives the following message:
> mpiexec_pls01.ccni.rpi.edu <http://mpiexec_pls01.ccni.rpi.edu> (mpiexec
> 392): no msg recvd from mpd when expecting ack of request

This usually points to some problem with the networking setup. Can you
use the mpdcheck utility to see if it can find any? Do you have any
firewall for some of the ports?

Alternatively, you can try using the Hydra process manager
(mpiexec.hydra instead of mpiexec). Here's some documentation:
http://wiki.mcs.anl.gov/mpich2/index.php/Using_the_Hydra_Process_Manager

If there's a serious networking setup problem, both mpd and Hydra will
give you errors, of course. So, you'll need to make sure your setup is
fine in either case.

 -- Pavan